· The poll comes as Alberta's Coal Policy Committee prepares to offer recommendations on a new coal policy. Seventyseven per cent of respondents to the Leger poll said they were worried about how coal mining would impact rivers and streams, and 88 per cent said they believe all coal mines–active or not–should be monitored for the release of .
· US coal production has fallen a third in the past decade, and the Energy Information Administration projects stagnation in the industry. More than a million acres have been affected by coal mining. As more mines close, what happens to this land will define the fortunes of the communities that grew around the industry.
· Coal exploration is shown on Vicary Ridge just south of the Oldman River, taken in fall 2020. (Courtesy Alistair Des Moulins/Alberta Hiking Association)
Coal River Mountain Watch (CRMW) is a grassroots organization begun in 1998 in response to the fear and frustration of people living near or downstream from huge mountaintop removal sites. We began as a small group of volunteers working to organize the residents of southern West ia to fight for social, economic, and environmental justice.
Coal River Mountain Watch is working on multiple fronts to fight mountaintop removal coal mining and build the movement for environmental justice in Appalachian communities impacted by coal mining. Judy Bonds Center for Appalachian Preservation: Coal River Mountain Watch's community center, office, volunteer housing, and sustainable economic demonstration site in Naoma, WV.
COAL RIVER MOUNTAIN WATCH, INC. and SIERRA CLUB Plaintiffs, v. CIVIL ACTION NO. 3:10cv0836 INDEPENDENCE COAL COMPANY, INC. and JACKS BRANCH COAL COMPANY, Defendants. CONSENT DECREE I. RECITALS 1. On June 17, 2010, Plaintiffs Ohio .
· Coal River Mountain Watch spearheaded a renewable energy campaign in 2009, proposing a wind farm as an alternative to mining on Coal River Mountain. Webb said the project showed that wind farms could bring in over million of .
· We're the ones getting flooded and breathing in coal dust, ammonium nitrate and silica," says Judy Bonds, a former Pizza Hut waitress who leads the Coal River Mountain Watch – an outspoken ...
· Alberta promises close watch on new mines but cuts oversight of coal polluted rivers. Albertans are waiting for details on how the United Conservative government plans to consult with the public ...
· Coal River Mountain Watch spearheaded a renewable energy campaign in 2009, proposing a wind farm as an alternative to mining on Coal River Mountain. Webb said the project showed that wind farms could bring in over million of sustainable revenue to the valley annually.
· April 1, 2021 8 min. read. Coal is a big industry in and it is on the verge of getting even bigger with the proposal of five coal mines along the Rocky Mountains. Photo: Callum Gunn. In the face of widespread public backlash, the Alberta government agreed to rethink its plan to open parts of the Rocky Mountains and foothills to openpit ...
· In an attempt to stay the execution of Coal River Mountain, 2,500 citizens have written letters to West ia governor Joe Manchin, asking him to pull Massey's permits for mountaintop removal. Studies show the mountain would be an ideal site for a wind farm which would provide energy for 150,000 people and provide 50 permanent jobs for the community .
· CALGARY Coal mining on environmentally sensitive slopes of Alberta's Rocky Mountains wouldn't be an overall benefit to the province, a wideranging analysis from the .
The mission of Coal River Mountain Watch is to stop the destruction of southern West ia communities and environment by mountaintop removal coal mining, to improve the quality of life in the region, and to help rebuild sustainable communities. The organization combines local knowledge with technical expertise to fight for local interests threatened by the .
· In late July, workers at Coal River Mountain Watch in Naoma, West ia, requested voluntary union recognition from the environmental nonprofit organization's board of directors. They anticipate full recognition of the Coal River Mountain Watch Union, organized with the Industrial Workers of the World, by month's end.
· The latest on climate summit COP26 in Glasgow: GLASGOW, Scotland — Britain's government has claimed that the "end of coal is in sight" after 18 .
Coal River Mountain Watch, Inc. is a West ia Domestic Profit Corporation filed On February 19, 1999. The company's filing status is listed as Active and its File Number is 183351. The Registered Agent on file for this company is Vernon Haltom and is loed at Po Box 303, Naoma, WV 25140.